Monday, November 08, 2010

Hamburger Buns

First, I worked for 4-5 hours on Saturday sewing cuffs for a large order. It was fun and felt good to get it all done. I wanted to share a recipe I made up in the last while. The whole family loves it, and I think they are great for lunches away from home. I'm calling them "Hamburger Buns"
First make a pizza dough.
My recipe for this is:
1 cup warmer water
2.25 tsp yeast
2 tsp sugar
4 tbsp oil
2 tsp salt
2.5 cups flour
Doubled easily.
Let rise 45-mins to an hour
Makes a soft dough. Don't work too much flour into the dough. Just enough to kneed it sufficiently and then let it be.
In the mean-time start on the filling.
1 Potatoe, peeled, chopped into sm cubes
1 carrot, peeled, chopped into sm cubes
1 parsnip, peeled, chopped into sm cubes
(try to keep all your veg chopped to the same size for even cooking)
1 sm onion diced
Feel free to add other root veg.
Now put a glug of oil in a pan and cook all of the above.
Season with Salt and pepper.
Now add garlic (all I had was garlic powder)
Dry thyme
Dry Rosemary. ( This really makes it great!!!)
Dry parsley
Once veg have had a good start cooking add Ground Beef.
About 1.5 pounds
Break it all up and stir until browned.
Cover and cook until Potatoes are tender. ( I don't have a lid for my pan so I just cover it with tin foil.) :)
Now add 1/2 cup frozen peas ( if you want), cook until just done.

Now the dough should be risen ( double in size)
Roll out into a rectangle. 1/2 - 1/4 inch thick.
Cut into squares. It all depends on how big you want your bun to be.
Spoon a good spoon full (1/4 cup or more) into the middle of the dough. The filling does not have to be cooled. Start bringing the dough up and around the filling.

Put on parchment paper lined sheet, seam side down.
Wisk 1 egg and brush on tops. Sprinkle with Parmesan.
Cook in a 375 oven for 20-25 mins.
So there it is. Yummy. I don't have a finished product picture. Sorry.
Enjoy. Have fun cooking.
amie

No comments: