For a long time I have been concerned that I live without worry about the consequences of my actions. That sounds like I'm doing something horrible and forbidden and I guess in some ways it is...what I'm talking about is the way my habits and actions affect God's green earth. I was watching CBC this afternoon and there was a show about youth making a difference. This girl had gone to Africa and seen the poverty and starvation. She came home changed. I have always wanted to live like I cared and not just say that I do. Our little family produces so much waste weekly. I don't feel right about it. I've tried to do the cloth diaper thing, because disposable diapers are in the top ten largerest forms of waste in North America, I wouldn't doubt worldwide. But for some reason there is just always some reason not to do it. I have also wanted to use reuable bags for groceries but I either forget or get lazy. Then there is all the cemicals I have in the house. Dishsoap, laundry detergent, shampoos, cleaners, easy erase, windex, the list goes on. They all go into the water and polute the ground. What about all the stuff i have and continue to buy, clothing, objects, bags, boxes, etc... there are thousands of ppl around the world who have nothing, and yet because I have some money I think I should be able to buy something that I want or percieve I need. People say to me, Amie what are you going to do, its all around you, it's easier and it costs less, you have to fit in, don't make a big deal about nothing, living like that is hard and inconventient. I listen and feel better for a week or two and then my conscience startes up again, asking me to rethink my small impact on the world, what I'm teaching my children, and what am I giving their future? I just don't know were to start. and I think that it's hard to invest the money in more expensive earth friendly products. Actually, you know I think I'm going to start with two things. #1 I'm going to start using reusable grocery bags. #2 I'm going to start a compost. My hurrdles will be...#1 family cooperation, #2 remembering, #3knoing how to start a compost, #4 staying motivated. anyways you can keep me to it but i'm going to start with the bags tomorrow, we're going shopping......I'm not going to buy anything that's over packaged, or any product that will harm the enviroment.
sprry this hasn't been very enlightening or uplifting or even well written....it's just something I want to be a bigger part of me.
1 comment:
amie,
brandon and i are starting composting this spring as well!!!! we'll have to tackle this together... i think rubbermaid makes this container that you can turn the composte with to make it into dirt... hopefully i can find this when i go to saskatoon next.
i'll let you know!!
catherine
Post a Comment