I will remember what I was. I am sick of ropes and chains.
I will remember my old strength and all my forest affairs.
I will not sell my back to man for a bundle of sugar-cane,
I will go out to my own kind, and the wood-folk in their lairs.
I will go out until the day, until the morning break,
Out to the winds' untainted kiss, the waters' clean caress:
I will forget my ankle-ring and snap my picket-stake.
I will revisit my lost loves, and playmates masterless!
I was moved by this short poem. I was a nice moment in my day, amid all the folding, cooking, disciplining, bum wiping, nursing and so on.
2 comments:
Amie, thank you for all your posts...the D'Allaire account of the boy he wanted to save...the blueberry smile...the mess on the floor...please keep writing. I still have tears on my cheeks as I write. The poem about the elephant was sooo powerful and reminded me about the things I love that I have missed while driving...its been so long since my soul has been revived by the woods, rocks, water and wind. Friday we finalize the purchase of our little bit of nature. xoxo mom
sorry, it was Mom not Dad writing
Post a Comment