Saturday, October 16, 2010

Cookies on my day off


Today I have a full day at home. Weekends are a beautiful thing. What have I done so far? Nothing important, which makes the day even better.
When i have time to kill my first instinct is to bake in the kitchen. So I started a batch of oatmeal cookies. I put the 1 cup butter in the Kitchen Aid, then the 1 cup br. sugar...then realized I needed my recipe. Have just moved I could not find my favorite oatmeal cookie recipe. I all through all my cards but it was nowhere to be found. So I turned to my "Cookies" by Martha Stewart. On page 90 she has a excellent oatmeal recipe. I have such a hard time sticking to a recipe. Something in me makes me always want to change it up. Here is her recipe followed by what I did today
3 cups rolled oats
1 cup plus 2 tbsp all-purpose flour
1/2 cup toasted wheat germ
1 tsp bkg soda
1 tsp bkg powder
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup sugar
1 cup light br. sugar
1 cup unsalted butter
2 lg eggs
1 tsp vanilla
1 1/2 cups raisins
Okay here is my version

3 cups rolled oats
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1/4 cup spelt four
1/4 cup heaping all purpose four
1/2 cup bran
1 tsp bkg soda
1 tsp bkg powder
1 heaping tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup butter
1/2 cup honey
1 cup br. sugar
2 lg eggs
vanilla? I forgot that
1 1/2 cup milk chocolate chips...no one in my family will eat raisins ( I know they are crazy!)
So as you can see I changed it a bit. But they turned out good. Probably nothing like Martha's but who really cares....they are cookies made by Amie!
And what mother an resist posting adorable photos of their children.

Oh by the way...Jon just came home from the men's breakfast and downed a cookie. Then says, "Man those are good honey, I'm going to have another one." He then goes the frigde and pours himself a glass of milk, grabs another cookie and sits down to enjoy them. I'm a happy wife!!!

1 comment:

Vanessa Gooch said...

Mmmm, those cookies look yummy! I never used to change recipes, but lately I too alter things to suit what I have in the house. It isn't so easy to hop in the car or walk to the supermarket anymore--perhaps that is why! :o) Love the pics. of the kids! It looks like Ian got a haircut and I love Gracie's new do! Super cute!